SAN FRANCISCO – A man broke into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco home and brutally beat her 82-year-old husband, Paul Pelosi, with a hammer Friday morning while the Democratic lawmaker was in Washington.

Paul Pelosi underwent surgery to repair a fractured skull and serious injuries to his right hand and hands, and his doctors expect a full recovery, the speaker’s office said. In a letter to her congressional colleagues Saturday night, Nancy Pelosi said her husband’s condition “continues to improve.”

Police said David DePape, 42, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, elder abuse and burglary.

“It was not a random act. It was intentional. And that’s wrong,” said San Francisco Police Chief William Scott.

The violence was the latest push for a political system that has become increasingly fractured and riddled with extremism.

An overview of what is known about the attack and the suspect:


A hammer-wielding attacker forced his way through the back door of Pelosi’s San Francisco residence shortly before 2:30 a.m. Friday. The man confronted Paul Pelosi and yelled, “Where’s Nancy,” according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the matter.

Paul Pelosi called 911 himself, and when the police arrived, they found him struggling with the attacker. The man managed to hit Pelosi at least once with the hammer before officers grabbed him and arrested him, police said.

Nancy Pelosi was in Washington at the time of the attack.



He underwent surgery to repair a fractured skull and serious injuries to his right hand and hand, and his doctors expect a full recovery, the speaker’s office said Friday. Other than Nancy Pelosi’s letter to colleagues, there were no updates on his condition Saturday.

Nancy Pelassi arrived in San Francisco late Friday. The couple has been married since 1963.

In the letter, the speaker thanked her colleagues for their prayers and warm wishes. “Our children, our grandchildren and I are heartbroken and traumatized by the life-threatening attack on our Pope,” she wrote. “We are grateful for the quick response of law enforcement and emergency services, as well as the life-saving medical care he received.”



Scott, the San Francisco police chief, said the attack was not a random act. “It was intentional,” he said.

Police did not immediately confirm a motive, but three people with knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press that the attacker targeted Pelosi’s home.

The FBI and Capitol Police are also involved in the joint investigation.



DePape is expected to be arraigned next week on charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse and burglary. After the arrest, he was taken to the hospital, where he remained until Friday evening.

DePape frequently posted on social media, often making racist and promiscuous comments that included questioning the outcome of the 2020 election, defending former President Donald Trump, and repeating QAnon conspiracy theories.

After living in the San Francisco Bay Area for two decades, he was known locally as a pro-nudity activist who picketed naked to protest laws requiring people to be clothed in public.

He grew up in Powell River, British Columbia, before following his older girlfriend to California. He has three children with two women. Stepfather Gene DePape said the suspect lived with him in Canada until he was 14 and was a quiet boy.

“He was withdrawn,” said Gene DePaipe. “He was never violent.”



It’s been nearly two years since the riots at the US Capitol, when Trump supporters stormed the building and began hunting Pelosi and other members of Congress. Since then, threats to MPs and their families have increased dramatically.

The US Capitol Police investigated nearly 10,000 threats against members last year, more than double the number from four years ago.

Lawmakers are pushing for increased security, especially for their families and their homes outside of Washington. Security officials have pledged to pay for upgrades to some security systems and an increased Capitol Police presence outside of Washington. But the vast majority of members are mostly on their own.

The attack on Paul Pelosi happened when Nancy Pelosi was out of town, which meant there were fewer security guards at their home.

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, copied or distributed without permission.

Source by [author_name]

Previous articleWorld Series Game 2 Live: Alex Bregman’s two-run homer extends Houston Astros lead over Phillies | World Series
Next articleClashes during the protest of thousands of French agribusinesses against “water capture”