(Reuters) – Serie A footballer Pablo Mari has been discharged from hospital after being stabbed in an attack at an Italian supermarket earlier this week, his club Monza said on Sunday.
Marie faces at least two months out of action after undergoing surgery on Friday following the stab wounds. As a result of the attack, one person died and many were injured.
Milan’s Niguardo Hospital said its trauma team had repaired two muscles in the back of the 29-year-old Spanish centre-back, who is on loan at Monza from Premier League club Arsenal.
“Pablo Mari was discharged from hospital this morning, returned home and now begins a period of complete rest,” the club said in a statement, also thanking hospital staff.
“Pablo, we are waiting for you!”
Monza asked the Italian football league to postpone Monday’s home game against Bologna, saying the team was in a “state of shock” but the game must go ahead.
Monza, owned by former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, are 15th in the 20-team league.
(Reporting by Rohit Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Tomasz Janowski)