LOS ANGELES – The family of a cinematographer killed by Alec Baldwin on the set of “Rust” has agreed to settle a lawsuit against the actor and the film’s producers, and production on the project will resume in January.

“We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, in our wrongful death lawsuit against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin,” Matthew Hutchins, the widower of filmmaker Galina Hutchins and a plaintiff in the lawsuit, said in a statement Wednesday. 9-year-old son Andros. “As part of this settlement, our case will be dismissed. Rust, which I will now executive produce, will resume filming with all the major players in January 2023.”

The settlement is rare positive news for Baldwin, who has had a troubled year since the Oct. 21 shooting. The actor, who also produced the film, pointed a gun at Hutchins when he fired, killing her and injuring director Joel Souza. They were in a small church while preparing to shoot a scene.

He announced the peace agreement on Instagram.

“Throughout this difficult process, everyone maintained a specific desire to do what was best for Galina’s son,” Baldwin said in a statement. “We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”

Baldwin said the gun went off accidentally and that he did not pull the trigger. But a recent FBI forensic report found that the weapon could not have fired unless the trigger was pulled.

The New Mexico Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the shooting an accident after completing an autopsy and reviewing law enforcement reports.

“I am not interested in recriminating or assigning blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin),” Matthew Hutchins said in a statement. “We all believe that Galina’s death was a terrible accident. I’m grateful that the producers and the entertainment community came together to honor Galina’s latest work.”

The deal doesn’t mean the legal issues surrounding the film and filming are over.

At least four other lawsuits filed by crew members remain, and the state of New Mexico has set aside funds to pay for possible criminal prosecution.

Baldwin is also a defendant in an unrelated defamation lawsuit brought by the family of a Marine killed in Afghanistan.

The Hutchins family’s lawsuit, filed in February, slammed Baldwin, the film’s producers and the other defendants: production manager Kathryn Walters, assistant director David Halls, gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez Reed and ammunition supplier Seth Kenny.

Their “reckless behavior and cost-cutting measures led to the death of Galina Hutchins,” the plaintiffs’ attorney, Brian Panish, said at a press conference.

According to the lawsuit, if the appropriate protocols had been followed, “Galina Hutchins would be alive and well, hugging her husband and 9-year-old son.”

The lawsuit said industry standards call for a rubber or similar prop gun to be used during set-up, and there was no real gun.

It also said that both Baldwin and Halls, who handed him the gun, were to check the revolver for live bullets.

___

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Andrew Dalton on Twitter: https://twitter.com/andyjamesdalton

Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, copied or distributed without permission.

Source by [author_name]

Previous articleHow the death of a British teenager changed social media
Next article19 Best Motorcycle Jackets for Men in 2022: Schott, Belstaff, Buck Mason